Melissa,

I'm so sorry about the little guy.  You sound like
you're beside yourself.  It's NOT your fault.  You had
the best of intentions.  The lady should have taken
you up on your offer.  I am surprised she told you
what happened.  Does this woman have a cruel streak or
am I just reading that into the situation?  You
couldn't have made them give you the kitten anyway.
Those kitties were their responsibility and they
failed.  That's never going to be on you.

Personally, I think you are doing what you can,
planning on doing shelter work and TNR.  You have a
good heart.  Don't let what happened jade you on life
and the good people around who DO care about cats.
Shame on those people who did what they did.  They are
the ones who have to live with it, and will have to
answer for it.  Life does have a way of evening the
score even if we don't know it when it happens.  And I
like that idea, even if I shouldn't.

:)
Wendy

world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"     ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.