On 9/24/07, janine paton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ah, but only a cat would have to choose between
> amputaion or death.
>
> I see no difference with this logic and killing cats
> who test positive.
>
> Catsinternational.org (also based in the midwest) has
> thankfully updated their page on declawing.  They are
> calling for people to name  declawing what it is -
> amputation.  They guarantee 100%  they can help you
> teach your cat not to scratch inappropriately.  It's
> called education.
>
> I have to say when I went to that petfinder link, I
> felt like I was on another planet.
>
> Only a cat would have to choose between amputation and
> death. Only in America.
>
> Janine

Hi Janine,

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say, so perhaps I
didn't say it well.

For every rescue group that denies an adoption - due to plans to
declaw, or for any other reason - a cat in a shelter somewhere will
end up dying.  At some point, this is ok.  It just depends for each
rescue group where that point is.  For some rescue groups it is
because the person plans to feed non premium food to the cat, for some
it is because they only want one kitten and not two, for some it is
because they plan to leave the cat alone during the day, for some it
is because they plan to declaw the cat, and many reasons in between.
Everyone has to draw the line in the sand and say "this is the
reason/reasons I will not adopt to a person (and the unspoken part of
that is that "this reason is important enough to me that I will allow
other cats to die because of it.")

It isn't that someone is going to kill cats if they aren't declawed.
It is that if people want declawed cats, and rescue groups refuse to
adopt them cats due to this, cats will die, and the person will go to
a breeder/free kitten ad/what have you and the cycle continues.

http://www.rescuties.org