God, that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO true MC- about the vets being the last to know!  I
keep saying that to ANYONE who will listen!  I finally made up a handout that I
plan to give out to all adoptive parents that adopt directly from me with
website links to catinfo.org (about feeding your cat and the importance of a
species-appropriate diet)-- b/c I at least want them to know WHY I am insisting
they buy the most expensive canned food (Wellness) in the store- and also the
wholehealth website and the raw food website.  I am not feeding raw (yet)- not
quite there yet.  If I had one cat- for sure, but with fosters and all the cat
juggling- it's too hard.  So, I want to give my adoptive parents the
information so they can look at it directly themselves and I bet some of them
will eventually go the raw route-- I've been lucky and have had some very
progressive, intelligent, and well-off adoptive parents take my fosters!  Very
lucky.  I am hoping that better diets for cats will have them living longer,
not get diabetes or CRF, coming down with Dry FIP later in life, etc., so I am
trying to push my agenda behind the scenes.  I don't want my adoptive cat
parents to get pressured by their vet into feeding their cats Science Diet
kibble or something, so I have been flat out telling them: "you need to do your
own research, join some cat care online groups, etc. and make an informed
decision with all that information and not just rely solely on what your vet
says b/c when it comes to diet and nutrition (and obviously the retroviruses),
some of them are the last to hear about the latest research and developments!"
Since I spend time at the store a lot, I have random people there shopping for
food who ask me "expert" ?'s about feeding their cat-- a young girl with an 8
mo Maine Coon whom the breeder said to feed it mostly SD Kitten kibble for a
whole year, and the girl said the cat is already 15 lbs-- so she wanted to know
what I thought?  I was like, oh my god, I get to push my agenda to a rapt
audience!  But d*nmed if I didn't have any informational sheets printed up yet
(I do now) and I am going to carry them with me every where I go from now on!

caroline

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:53:22 -0500From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: Re: more bad news****FIRST OF ALL: NO ONE ON THIS LIST IS TO
CROSSPOST ANYTHING I WRITE, OR HAVE WRITTEN IN THE PAST, ANYWHERE ELSE, WITHOUT
MY WRITTEN PERMISSION.****please please keep loivng him and doing everything
you can, but if the test was sent to antech labs for their foolproof FIP test,
you need to know that it is just another titre test and tho the lab (and way
too many vets) claim that it can tell the mutating strain of FeCoV from the
non, there is no independent research to back that up. thank you for sending
that link, kelley, i didn't realize that marvista had put up the info on the
rivalta test! UC Davis has been doing a lot of research on the realitiies of
FIP, and unfortunately, the same thing is true with FIP as with FIV and
FeLV--ie, those of us who actually deal with the viruses too often know about
advances in research and treatment YEARS before the veterinary professionals
do. sad, sad.