Our volunteer forgot to get Star tested, so we dont' know her status.  She
has been vaccinated and boostered.

I will check with the pets for the elderly resource, but this lady is not
elderly, she is handicapped.  Not quite the same thing...

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM, MaryChristine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> after you find out what the other cat's diagnosis is, i think doing what
> has been suggested is good--as long as we're talking FeLV. i don't see any
> particular reason to say much about the FIV..... that the cat has a virus
> that might never become activated, just keep closer watch for changes, etc.
> i might not use the word leukemia right away, cuz that in and of itself
> scares people.
>
> start a food pantry..... contact the CIL and senior programs and find out
> about the ones that are operated in other parts of the country--it's a GREYT
> idea, and the need is incredible....
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Kelley Saveika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Lately Rescuties has been expanding our services to include a limited
>> amount of free spay/neuter for the pets of handicapped or housebound folks
>> in the area.  I have a neighbor who is wheelchair bound, so we took her
>> female cat up to be spayed a couple of weeks ago.  Today we had their male
>> cat, Jack, neutered.
>>
>> Sadly, Jack is double positive.  I guess we can have him tested again in 6
>> months, but we aren't going to be able to do the IFA and certainly no
>> aggressive treatment if he gets sick.  We just don't have the funds.  I wish
>> we had enough money to help every kitty in Austin, but our primary focus is
>> adoption, and this kitty already has a home.
>>
>> I have no clue what to do here, or how to advise this woman.  She is
>> wheelchair bound and the food she feeds the animals comes from the grocery
>> store, which she rides to on her wheelchair.  The family does not own a car
>> and I am assuming whatever money they get comes from disability (I didn't
>> ask, I don't like to pry and my primary focus is the cats) but premium
>> foods, supplements and the things we usually advise are probably out of the
>> question.
>>
>> I didn't want to distress or scare her too much - does anyone have any
>> links to "non scary" FELV info for the lay person?  These are nice kind
>> animal loving people, but not highly educated in cat diseases.  I don't know
>> if they have internet or not.  There is another cat in the home we will be
>> having tested tomorrow (which really is getting outside of our scope again,
>> but what can you do?).
>>
>> Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>> Kelley
>>
>> --
>> Rescuties - Saving the world, one cat at a time.
>>
>> http://www.rescuties.org
>>
>> Vist the Rescuties store and save a kitty life!
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home?tag=rescuties-20
>>
>> Check out our Memsaic!
>> http://www.memsaic.com/app/launch.cfm?sid=08D2CAB2A6E9
>>
>> http://www.zazzle.com/rescuties*
>>
>> Please help with some of our kitties medical needs!
>>
>> http://rescuties.chipin.com/kitties-medical-expenses
>>
>> "Rather than helping, it's easier to point fingers and say "take them

http://www.rescuties.org

Check out our Memsaic!