________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Heather
Wienker
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 2:43 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Sissy has joined Hobbs, 6/27/08

With much sadness, I wanted to share with everyone that Hobbs' sister,
Sissy, has  now joined him.   The loss of her dear brother affected
Sissy very much, which was to be expected as they were quite bonded, and
she began to take a similar road as Hobbs did in his final days.   Their
people-Mom Jann had wanted to avoid Sissy suffering as she felt Hobbs
did, and had planned for her to cross this morning, though unfortunately
they had a very bad night, and stayed the night in the garage together,
where Sissy had actually been spending a lot of time lately.

I apologize that I haven't been active since the outpouring of support
from you all regarding the loss of Hobbs, unfortunately the following
week we lost another FELV+ rescue, Shennanigans (whom a friend in
another city had given a home to for these last 3 months), and also a
dear Torti rescue named Freckles who we found living in a woman's yard,
very ill and with an old & very uncomfortable injury.   She was such a
sweet, beautiful kitty and her spirit really touched us all very much, a
rescue was assisting with her medical care but force feeding with her
injury was very stressful for Freckles, and her caregiver, and given the
severity of her illness (which prevented her from being a candidate for
surgery for her long-healed injury, unless she made a remarkable
recovery), they felt it was best to release her from her pain.   I found
out after the fact and have struggled with it ever since as I feel I
didn't do enough for her, soon enough, and wonder if things could have
been different.

Shennanigans was a beautiful little charcoal grey long haired kitty whom
we found outside at my vets, likely dumped around Febuary.   She
appeared to be only 4 - 5 months old, though we aren't really sure.
The woman who she went to live with said her vet thought she might be
older than we initially thought, she wasn't spayed when we found her and
I still think she was a pretty young kitty.   Her initial FELV test was
a "weak"+.

I really should have posted about Shennanigans here but was fairly numb
with all of the loss.    I was not the direct caregiver, but the
rescuer, for these kitties so can only imagine what my friends have been
going through as they loved them all dearly.   Even if it was only for 3
months, I know Shennanigans spent those last 3 months sleeping in a bed
with someone, though she was afraid of the other cats.

What Jann did for Hobbs and Sissy, giving two little FELV+ kittens a
home which is so hard to find, I will be eternally grateful for.    I
hate the pain it's caused her, yet she is such a giving soul and does
nothing but thank me for entrusting her with their care and for the
precious time she had with them over this last year.   While I am always
full of doubts as to how I handle things, I am so confident in the
wonderful, loving happy lives they had with Jann, no matter how short.
I just hate how painful the "end" has been.   She still has their
Mother, a double+ kitty I found at my "new" job with an eye & ear
injury, she has outlived all of her kittens--I found them all last April
under a trailer behind my new office.   I had moved accross campus after
almost 20 years in the same building, and kept looking for a "sign from
God" as to whether I should make the move...when I found Mom & her
babies, and their testing status, I knew had anyone else found them
they'd most likely have immediately been put down, and that they were
the "sign" I was looking for.

We also have a new Leuk+ rescue, this poor kitty had scabies so bad his
eyes were crusted shut (and still are quite infected), a friend made a
heroic rescue standing on a truck and plucking this kitty out of a tree,
and it hit hard when we found out he was leuk+.   We are still looking
for a home for him, and he is still boarding at the vets being treated
(3 weeks now), but we are glad we've had the chance to give him the
chance he deserves to feel good love and care.

Well I am sorry as this must be a very sad update...but I know you all
will keep Sissy, Hobbs, Shennangans, and Jann & Kate the loving humans
they've left behind, in your close thoughts and prayers.   Please add
them to the candle light memorial service.

Thank you all for giving kitties with leukemia a chance, no one should
have to lose the chance to know love just because of what is in their
blood.

Heather
Tampa, FL

be privileged.