contact Alley Cat Rescue, they have instructions for building winterized boxes
so they can stay outside.  they use them for wild/feral colonies to stay in
after they have been caught, spayed/neutered and ear tipped for identification.
 then they release them where were caught.  caregivers then feed and watch over
them.  this way colony does not increase, but decreases as older cats die.  i
don't have a colony (live in middle of woods, not city), but 2 other neighbors
and i adopt all the strays that show up at our houses and take to vet for shots
and spaying/neutering.  we do get a lot of cats and dogs dumped out here
because people like to think that they can fend for themselves.  they really
just don't want responsibility of caring for them.  we take them in because
many in the country feel a bullet is cheaper than keeping them, so when a stray
shows up on their property, they shoot it, good target practice they say.  i
have a mouth and have alienated some neighbors because of this.  it is an
animal they say and has no $$$$value to them so get rid of it.  dorlis