Thanks, Cougar Clan.  I am looking up a holistic vet here in Sonoma County.

Lucky was living outside and not coming around for feeding. I knew I had to do something when I spotted him just after sunset one evening on the neighbor's roof, looking out on the world. It was the saddest, most forlorn sight I'd ever seen. I knew then that this little guy was feeling abandoned and wondering what to do and where to go. My next act was to open a can of tuna to lure him in. It worked. Two days of feeding canned food and I nabbed him. I think he was relieved. He is adjusting well (smartest cat I ever met). I went in an laid on the bed and he did all the things my mom used to tell me about: drooling while he purred, kneading, stretching out his full length next to me. What a special cat, indeed. I am committed to helping him and keeping him safe and healthy. I tell him, "Lucky, maybe it's time you retire, you know? No more fights or catching rats -- just live the good life on easy street!" Hope he agrees! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cougar Clan" <maima...@duo-county.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] New to Feline Leukemia

Personally, I would read the information on the board about the testing procedures and have him retested. Meanwhile I would vaccinate my cats and keep Lucky safe until he is retested. Depending on what you decide to do about mixing (again this board has lots of information--I mixed after one cat (FELV-) was diagnosed with terminal cancer), you go forward the best way you can. A spare room is not a bad thing. Just make all your decisions with love for Lucky.

Feed all of the cats the absolute best diet you can and keep them as stress free as possible. Lucky has gone through a lot and I cannot imagine the pain and stress of your mother's illness and their separation has caused both of them. I like to use Rescue Remedy in water and Feliway spray around the house. There are other things you can do to help. I suspect your mother talked to Lucky a lot. Maybe a radio or even a recording of her voice? If you do the recording, consider a loop tape (like they use for training parrots etc. Record once and it repeats for so long a time).

I brought my Daddy's cat to live with me after Mom decided she couldn't care for her after Daddy left this world. I slept on the floor for 3 months trying to get Kitty to come out. We finally reached an agreement....I was there to serve her. My holistic vet suggested the Feliway and it really helped. It sounds like Lucky is not as upset by the move but keep this in mind.

Consider consulting a holistic/alternative vet. I have regular vets that I adore and a holistic vet who has a vet degree and works wonderfully with my regular vets (they sent me to her initially). I have a couple of names and numbers in Louisville KY if you need them. They do phone consultations.

Then, most importantly for me, throw away the calendar and enjoy every minute you have with Lucky and the other cats.

Bless you for caring.