I've had 2 FELV+ cats--one was an adult stray that I was feeding who I found
out was pos when I brought him in.  He was an older cat who had not had an
easy life but he lived several more years in peace & comfort before he
succumbed to lymphoma last fall.  But my Tucson was diagnosed several years
after I got her as a kitten.  She had tested neg on snap test.  When my long
time vet noticed something that made him retest & then find out that she had
likely been pos all her life, he told me he had no experience w. FELV & made
some suggestions about other vet facilities that might have.  I spoke to the
director of my local shelter who suggested I talk to a local woman who would
take FELV+ cats from them when she had room.  That woman gave me the name of
the vet she uses--turned out he was a vet that a friend had recommended.  He
was very helpful in easing my mind, was not real concerned about mixing, and
made some good suggestions about food & nutritutional supplements.  Bottom
line, it helps if your vet has had some experience with FELV or at least is
willing to educate himself.  Maybe there's a rescue near you that works with
FELV+ that could give you some ideas.

I'm surprised that your vet didn't suggest the IFA test--it is costlier than
the in office snap test but would tell you more conclusively if Lucky is in
fact pos.  Also, you might want to think about having a full blood panel.
Might give you a head start on any other issues he might have and would give
you a baseline reading for the future.  Finances are ALWAYS a big issue--but
making a little investment now might prevent more problems in the future.
Basically, no matter whether he's really pos or neg, you're doing the very
best things you  can do for Lucky (and it sure sounds like he knows it!)

Christiane Biagi
ti...@mindspring.com