This is the problem with most "sanctuaries."  It's a flawed business model.  A
"sanctuary" by definition offers lifetime care  So they fill up fast and, as
the population ages, become more and more expensive to maintain.  And usually
the people who try to start sanctuaries keep taking in new animals, sometimes
because they need the surrender fee to keep the operation running and sometimes
because they simply have a hard time saying "no."  This is just not a
sustainable model.

The few good long term sanctuaries really limit the population.  And they very
often have an adoption component that allows them to make space by placing
animals in good homes.  You just can't keep taking animals in with no way to
decrease the population.  It becomes unwieldy very quickly.