From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Maureen Olvey
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:38 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Keep Cats Indoors

>From that study in CA, the American Bird Conservancy was saying that the
answer was to trap and kill the cats.  That's the part that really irritated
me.  Yeah, cats killed a lot of those birds.  The little tigers will kill
most anything that moves.  It's their instinct.  But the cats got there
somehow and even before people fed them they were there and multiplying like
crazy.  Because of a lot of different reasons and a lot of studies,
Trap-Neuter-Return the only way that will have the long term results of
cutting the population of free-roaming cats way down.  But, those "bird
brains" just want to kill all the cats as though that will fix everything.
I like birds and I like the people in the ABC, and I really don't think of
them as "bird brains" I was just being funny, but the idiots that run the
thing and making those comments about killing the cats are short-sighted.
Everytime I hear something from the ABC I just get upset before even knowing
what they're going to say because I know how they feel about free-roaming
cats and I know they hate TNR.  Obviously, I'm a big advocate of TNR.

What I'd really like to say to them is that I wonder how many of those birds
are killed when they build the condos and board walks and everything else
along the beaches.  They need to spend their time fighting that battle
before trying to have the cats killed.  Maybe they do fight those battles
too, but that's my angry comment, and I know it doesn't change the fact that
the cats kill the poor birds, but sometimes you just want to tell people
off.

Oh well, that's my middle of the night rantings about the ABC.  I don't like
cats killing birds, mice, chipmonks, or even the poor snakes and keeping
them inside is the best thing for the cats too.  I don't mind using the cat
being killers argument to motivate people keeping their pets indoors but
leave the ferals alone and don't start talking about killing them.

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are
profitable to the human race or doesn't..the pain which it inflicts upon
sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further." - Mark
Twain

> Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:56:46 -0700
> From: hingebacktorto...@yahoo.com
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Keep Cats Indoors
>
> Yes, the number one cause of bird extinction is habitat loss, but cats are
#2.
> There's a well-known study that was conducted on a couple of adjacent
beaches in California, one with a feral cat population and one without. The
beach that is home to feral cats has no birds - remember that most
shorebirds are ground nesters - while the cat-free beach supports a healthy
bird population.
> Of course, our birds have natural predators - some raptors such as
red-tailed hawks prey mostly on birds. Kingsnakes and rat snakes are known
for feasting on eggs and hatchlings. But this is natural predation & so
things are kept in balance. Throw in a highly efficient predator such as a
cat and the balance changes.

Conservancy