From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of MaiMaiPG
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:25 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FW: Keep Cats Indoors

I deal with ferals too and all of my house cats have been ferals. One
cost me two surgeries thanks to biting through a finger...my fault not
hers.  A lot of older people are on blood thinners, have extremely
"thin skin" etc.  I've been scratched more times than I can count.
Obviously, you have been blessed.  I'm in my 50's and recover fairly
easily.  I know of too many older people without sufficient support
who can't recover quickly.  I suspect it has to do with the overall
health of the individual and the personality of the cat.  Personally,
I have seen my mother bleed for hours from various (for me)
insignificant cuts.  As I said, declawing should be the last resort
but there are times I feel it is justified.

On Mar 23, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Natalie wrote:

> That is true, but I don't understand why an old person can't have a
> cat with
> claws.  Dealing mostly with feral cats, I have never been bitten or
> scratched - what's the danger, I am 70 yrs old.  And as I said,
> bites are a
> natural defense for declawed cats!

>>> too.  Ebony caused some problems but, if I had known then  what I