My first feral, Shorty, got me 2 times, both my fault.  My father had built a
house for my strays complete with lapped siding, a small porch with columns and
I got leftovers from a client's new carpet ($50.00 a yard, wool) to line the
walls and floor.  Of course, we put in 2" styrofoam insulation everywhere. And
then we stuffed a lot of straw in there for him to arrange however he wanted.
Shorty showed up in March  and the weather was rainy, snowy, etc so I leaned a
piece of plexiglass against it to keep his fod dry.  Everything was great if I
knocked on the door so he could see me coming and get away.  Couple of times I
forgot and surprised him.  Since he could not flee, he fought.  Wraped his legs
around my leg and bit me.  I did what I usually do, let it bleed to wash out
bacteria, put peroxide on it and bandaged it.  Applied pressure for a bit and
it was good as new.  After 8 months, he got used to me and finally allowed me
to pick him up and from there went to sleeping on the foot of my bed.  I have
been very lucky with all my bites and scratches and only 1 time had to go to
the ER.  A stray came to court my girls and Harley (then 4 months) got out and
came flying around the corner of the garage.  Moses thought he was attacking so
he jumped at him.  I grabbed Harley to save him and Moses got me on the back of
the hand and hit a large vein.  Bled like crazy all over the garage and house.
Finally got a couple of 4x4's folded and made a pressure bandage, tied it on
with gauze and went to the ER.  They gave me a prescription for antibiotics,
said I did a real good job of fixing it and told me to find the cat or take
rabies shots.  I remembered which direction he ran and found him the next day
sitting on his ower's porch and very sweetly came to greet me.  We had to
confine him for 14 days and that was that.  He looked so heathy, I was sure he
did not have rabies, but the doctor siad was best to be safe.  Just remember
when dealing with ferals, they feel they have 2 choices, flee or fight so
always give them the opportunity to flee.