  From: Natalie<mailto:at...@optonline.net>
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org<mailto:felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
  Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 8:04 PM
  Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FW: Keep Cats Indoors

  I would seriously consider declawing very, very seriously- it is the most
devastating thing for a cat.  Knowing what I do, I would be more heartbroken
doing it to a beloved cat than being without the cat, trust me.  I wonder how a
cat would feel if

  he/she knew that it had a choice between missing the owner or having their
paws mutilated?  According to Dr. Nicholas Doddman, who wrote The Cat that
Cried for Help, after declawing surgery, cats feel such extreme pain that they
either climb the walls of the cage or sit completely morose and cowering in the
corner, something that their owners will never see.  I have a copy of an
article written for NY Times Magazine a few years ago, where a woman writes
about declawing her older cat because her mother's oriental rug was being
scratched up.  It is one of my hand-out's to adopters - the story is
heartbreaking, and very typical.  After the hurricane is over, I will scan it
and post it.  It is probably the best I've read, without going into the gory
details of declawing.

  Natalie