Agreed---not neutering a male cat ultimately is a whole lot more stressful
for the cat.  The procedure for male cats is a whole lot less intrusive than
for female & I would think that while there is always risk in any surgery, a
simple neuter would ultimately be better than not neutering.

From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
lernermiche...@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 12:38 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] neutering a positive cat

I have. Have not seen any problem from it, but I do think it could trigger
an upper respiratory infection or other problems like any stressful event.
The thing is, remaining unneutered is a big source of stress, much bigger in
my opinion than the surgery. Keeping an intact male from roaming or mating
will result much restlessness and anxiety on his part. Unneutered cats
generally have trouble keeping weight on and are less healthy, because so
much energy goes into the reproductive system and behavior. Neutered cats
are much calmer and healthier. For this reason, I would get him neutered. I
have never seen a vet refuse to neuter a positive cat. Even the low-cost
clinic we use does it.

Michelle