Females can be spayed via laser which is a lot less traumatic. I don't know about males. Personally I would want a private vet who experienced in FeL+ cats.....MHO
On Jan 2, 2012, at 11:38 AM, lernermiche...@aol.com wrote:

I have. Have not seen any problem from it, but I do think it could trigger an upper respiratory infection or other problems like any stressful event. The thing is, remaining unneutered is a big source of stress, much bigger in my opinion than the surgery. Keeping an intact male from roaming or mating will result much restlessness and anxiety on his part. Unneutered cats generally have trouble keeping weight on and are less healthy, because so much energy goes into the reproductive system and behavior. Neutered cats are much calmer and healthier. For this reason, I would get him neutered. I have never seen a vet refuse to neuter a positive cat. Even the low-cost clinic we use does it.

Michelle

-----Original Message-----
From: dppl dppl <dppl1...@yahoo.com>
To: felvtalk <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Mon, Jan 2, 2012 12:26 pm
Subject: [Felvtalk] neutering a positive cat

I still have Mitt, the kitten I found in October who tested positive. He seems to be healthy at this time and around 7-8 months old. I am thinking I should have him neutered but the local humane society refused to do surgery on a positive cat, claiming surgery could trigger an immune system problem. Has anyone neutered their positive cat after finding out it was positive and what was your experience? Thanks for any input. PS: Someone asked my in a prior posting why the vet give vaccinations before getting blood work results that showed positive. She sent the blookwork to an outside lad since she said it would be less costly and that same visit
when blood was drawn, she went ahead and did vaccinations.