I agree, don't give up on him and get another vet's opinion.  Did your vet do
any tests to determine the cause?  My Casey was upchucking 3 feet from her food
bowl.  All I had to do was switch from Hill's food to Blue Buffalo whic has no
corn, wheat or soy in it and she is doing great now. Unless Harley pounces on
her right after eating.