You've got it right.  I've immersed myself in FELV for the past 2 weeks and
feel I've got a pretty good grasp and from what I understand what you
stated is correct.  Basically I need the snap and IFA test to match..but a
positive snap and negative IFA does NOT mean they are in the clear it may
just mean it has not spread to the point of testing positive on IFA yet.  I
need either a matching negative snap and IFA or matching positive snap and
IFA.  I've really had to educate myself on this bc I've learned the shelter
really does not have great knowledge on it and they really tend to group
FELV and FIV together a lot.  Prior to me doing my own investigating and
phone calls I was told a ton of different things from the shelter.

As for the mother- these guys were left on someones doorstep with no mom
and brought to the shelter.  I pulled them as bottlefeeders at about 2
weeks old (uninformed on needing to request a snap test).  I had them for 5
weeks not knowing about the FELV...dropped them off for their spays and
neuters at 2lbs and got a call that afternoon that 1 in the litter had
tested postiive for FELV (they only test 1).  They had only tested them bc
I checked off a box requesting the snap test (otherwise never would have
tested them).  When I picked them up I brought them to the clinic and had a
2nd one in the litter tested who also tested positive.  A week later I had
an appointment with the shelters vet who than snap tested the 3rd kitten in
the litter who also tested positive.  Now we wait...re-snap..if snap
positive we will send out IFA.  At this point Im treating them as FELV+ and
certainly don't have my hopes up that they are going to be negative.

They are not showing any signs or symptoms that I am aware of at this
point.  They were spayed and neutered that day which now Im hearing mixed
things on whether that should have been done or not and that FELV cats can
have a difficult recovery.  These guys had no problems recovering and have
bounced back wonderfully besides 1 of them getting really bad diarrhea for
a few days but we discovered roundworms and treated all 3 for that.  His
diarhea is now gone and he's back to himself.

--
Jamielynn  Storch
www.jlynnphotographyonline.com