If people give kittens and puppies away, they do not know to whom they are
going and what will be done to them.  Even if they go to a home with children,
often the children are not taught how to care for, treat them.  Children can be
cruel unless they are taught by their parents NOT to be cruel.  The deer,
rabbits, groundhog, turtle,squirels and raccoons are eating everything in my
yard, but I cannot kill them.  I know they are hungry and thirsty.  We are
going thru a long, very hot time (8 days of 100 - 108) and plants are dying
from lack of water so, are the wild animals.  So to save what I can of my
plants, I have brought them on the deck and spray them with garlic and rotten
egg.  It saves my plants (especially vegies) and does not hurt the animals.  I
also put out water for all.  I get my cats spayed/neutered.  People say it is
too expensive!  Then, sorry, you should not have them if you cannot care for
them.  Same could be said about children.  Seems a lot of people don't think
about that until after the children are born.