Of course you should ALWAYS ask a vet what the dosage is and what product is
safe for cats.  If you look at the label of Revolution and of Frontline Plus,
you will see that the ingredients are exactly the same for dogs as for cats but
not the dosage.  So you have to get the dosage correct.  With Revolution, it
would be 0.035 and for Frontline, it's 0.05. You need to talk to your vet about
this and explain that you are on a very limited budget with cats who need flea
treatment and ask for the dose from her/him.  If your vet doesn't want to do
that, there are FILES at <feral_c...@yahoogroups.com> that explain dosages.
Those of us who are caring for multiple cats really can't afford $16 a dose of
flea treatment for each of 20 to 40 cats each month.  I have a measuring
syringe with the exact dosage marked off in permanent ink pen.  You MUST read
labels and compare the dog product ingredients to the cat product ingredients.
You're right that
 Advantix is deadly for cats because there's an extra one or two ingredients
added that are only safe for dogs.  I distrust the generic or store brand that
says that it works as good as whatever you are buying it to replace.
Sometimes, these products are NOT as good.  So you have to be careful or you
will have a cat full of fleas AND fleas product.  AND PLEASE, whatever you do,
don't buy Hartz products.  They are a company that doesn't care if animals die
from their terrible flea and tick products or are paralyzed for life.

too!