I'm not quite sure how you arrived at the $9/day, at least not based on
what I said.   It seems too low.

Yes, transition to raw is sometimes a slow one, at least for some cats.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Lee Evans <moonsiste...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It would be nice if I could do that but I'm feeding around 35 cats right
> now.  Feeding raw would cost me around $9 a day with turns into around $250
> a month.  On top of which, I would be a little nervous to feed raw chicken
> to the cats.  Some of them probably wouldn't even understand what it was
> while others might throw it up at first.  Cooked chicken would add about 3
> hours work to my day.  My freezer would be full of frozen chicken, not
> defrosted in time for their dinner and I would go insane.
>
> The dry food costs me about $100 - $150 a month.  With the price of
> Kirkland going up it would cost me about equal to that because they eat
> less of the Kirkland due to fat content.  Seems to fill them up better.  I
> used to buy Friskies regular type, and Purina Cat Chow (no one wanted to
> eat that).  Then I bought HEB brand Hill Country Fair and all the cats
> began throwing up in unison.  Stopped buying that also.  They seem to be
> able to digest Paws and Claws, the Tractor Supply brand that cost $20 for
> 36 pounds but the older ones lose weight when they eat it.  One of my cats,
> Isadora lost most of her fur (long hair) and had scabs and sores on her
> skin.  I began feeding Kirkland about 3 months ago and the other day I
> realized that Isadora had no more scabs and had grown back her fur.  The
> fat content did her a whole lot of good. She looks like she has gained a
> pound or two and is much more active. Mr. Buttons (Big Butt-tons) also
> gained weight on Kirkland.  I need to widen the doorway for him.
> I will probably have to keep buying the Kirkland and just work harder.
>

> Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
> neighbors too!
>

>   ------------------------------

Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537