Furniture is around #50 down on my priority list of things I need.  I live in
South Texas.  We have a 365 day flea season and now that I moved out to a rural
area in order to be able to keep my rescued cats without having to deal with
stupid Animal Control Officers who never even read their own ordinances, I also
have scorpions, snakes and assorted weird looking crawlies.  I tend to stay
away from anything upholstered in favor of washable pillows, washable patio
cushions, large towels from Goodwill and snuggy cat beds and blankets. Anything
that can't be hosed down or tossed into the washing machine has no place in a
house that 38 cats call home. As long as I can park my rump on something that
is clean, won't have any hidden, stinging surprises and is fairly comfortable,
I don't care what it looks like.

Fortunately,
 almost all of my friends are rescuers so everyone thinks I'm "normal".

too!