I've seen the red tongue thing in several cats, sometimes those with dental
issues, but most often in cats that are very dehydrated. How are their gums? If
they are wet and slick, then I'm wrong.
Obviously I can't see them, but my worry is that they _are_ dehydrated, and
past the point where oral re-hydration is possible. I wish I had better
suggestions, I guess that getting as much liquid as frequently as possible can
only help.

Margo