My sweet little FeLV+ Harley, just barely 5 years old, went to join his buddy Milkdud across the Rainbow Bridge today. There is a pet cremation service about an hour from me that does individual cremations, and you can arrange to attend if you want to. I put his catnip heart in with him, and a dandelion blossom, covered him with the petals from a red rose, and then let some of my tears drop onto him. I sat with him outside in a glider chair until they were ready for him. The weather was nice, and I looked out into a peaceful wooded area. Only the very slightest breeze, so the rose petals didn't blow away. I carried him inside when they were ready, but didn't remain for the process. I chose an urn that looks like a black cat (like Harley) crouching to pounce on a mouse. I may put it in his favorite hunting spot, if it doesn't upset Brock (Harley's FeLV+ roommate).

The last several days, Harley could only have broth (tuna juice, the juice from Fancy Feast Appetizers, etc.) and he had a difficult time getting even that down due to the growth of his cancer. Rather than take the chance of him choking on his broth over the weekend, I took him to the vet to help him cross over. He remained in bed nearly all the time the last 3 days, but thanks to his pain meds, he did enjoy some pets, tummy rubs, and naps in his last days.

Marsha