It's not the same, Robert, and I am not sure it would work. The Epogen acts on
the kidneys to secrete erythropoietin, which is a hormone that tells the bone
marrow to produce more red cells.

The problem, in my opinion, is that the FeLV infiltrates the red cell
progenitor cells in the bone marrow and either kills them or takes them over so
that they make viruses, not red cells. My hypothesis is that when the red cell
production stops, it is because all the progenitor cells have been destroyed or
taken over the by virus. Thus, giving Epogen probably won't be helpful, because
the cells which normally respond to erythropoietin by creating more red cells,
can no longer do so because the progenitor cells are damaged or dead and can no
longer produce red cells.

Winstrol is known to be good for osteoporosis. My hypothesis is that it
strengthens the bone marrow by encouraging the growth of new cells in the bone
marrow. That would explain how red cell production gets started back up again
with the use of Winstrol.

With the Epogen, it is causing more erythropoietin to be produced to "tell" the
progenitor cells to produce red cells, but the progenitor cells are either dead
or damaged by the virus and can no longer respond appropriately to the
detection of higher levels of erythropoietin. Epogen might work if you start it
before the bone marrow is really devastated - ie - before you get the big drop
in red cells and haematocrit.

Fair warning though: this is all my hypothesis, based on my own observations,
research and experience.

Amani