Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I'm saving them in my file!
Nina

tamara stickler wrote:
Hi Kerry,

I've found with Quintapus, its not always WHAT I feed him, but HOW.  He is a CRF cat (not felv), and just getting them to eat can be a trial.  BUT, I've found that these have helped:

1) When he looks interested in the food, but licks his lips and backs off or runs away.....its most likely sour belly and 1/4 of a Pepcid A/C, once or twice a day (CHECK WITH VET FIRST) wrapped in a treat and poked down his ol' gullet will have him hungry and eating within 1/2 hr.

2) With cats, its often the food receptical..not the food.  If they got nauseous after eating then they may not only associate that food with making them sick, but the bowl.  I have a varity of bowls, different sizes, and colors for Quintapus now.

3)  For some reason, Q likes to be fed with a spoon rising the food in the bowl (held over not out of the bowl).  Canned food is so important to replace moisture in their bodies, but  many cats don't like to get their whiskers, lips, noses in it, so eating it off the edge of a spoon seems to be agreeable. (Some days Q insists on a blue plastic spoon as opposed to a metal spoon -???- I have NO idea why??)

4) Raising the bowl above cat's armpit level.  Just like with big dogs, I believe some cats get reflux if they have to dip their heads below their knees to eat.  Raising the bowl helps the food stay down as the next bite is taken.  (with suggestion #3 this is very easy to do)

5.) Liquify the canned food.  Add water and mash until it looks like a thick broth...many cats don't like to chew their food and prefer to drink it instead.  This also helps to keep them from becoming dehydrated.

6) Warm it for 10 or 20 seconds before feeding.  esp. after adding water...helps to spread/blend the flavors and gives it a different consistancy.

7) Feed several small meals a day in addition to leaving food out all the time....ex. dry can be left out, canned - feed special.

8) For older cats...often arthitis gives them a hard time of it...and they are SO stoic they won't let you know.  Cosequin added to the food works for most after about 2 weeks, BUT for some reason, Cosequin and a treat for arthitis called "HIP CHIPS" has my Q not only playing again but eating with vigor as well!!!!!!  I give him about 10-15 pcs. a day in addition to his cosequin and have been SO pleased with the results.

I hope some of this works for you!