I thought you might reply, Doug!

On 9 October 2015 at 21:14, Douglas N Arnold <arn...@umn.edu> wrote:

> How would you  handle H(curl) spaces in a consistent way?

H(curl) is trickier, but not a problem I'm facing at the moment.

> There you have to provide a tangential vector field, but there
> is no natural basis for the tangent space.  The current method
> is to apply a full n-vector but only to pay attention to the
> tangential part (I believe).  The analogue is the current
> approach for H(div) as well.

Yes, for H(div) it pulls out the normal part. What's tedious is that in a
JIT-compiled Expression I don't have ready access to the normal vector. For
the physical problem I'm modelling I know u.n - it would be natural if this
was easy to apply. It's also misleading for the naive user that they can
supply the full n-vector when part of it is discarded.

Garth