On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, at 16:35, Martin Vignali wrote:
> >   >+    Support for the nonfree NDI protocol has been removed, it had
> > > been a common source of GPL violations.
> > >
> > This doesn't justify to break user tools (who respect the ffmpeg licence)
>
> tools who depend on a license violation are violating  the license too...

FFmpeg can be compile with GPL and non free component, if the build is not
redistributed.
There is no licence violation in this case.

The non-free flag was done for incompatible open source license, and used for
complex compiler licensing issue.
Not for obviously-closed-userland libraries.

It's not because some people doesn't respect the licence, that every user
of non free component do the same.

Sorry, but that ship has sailed. Complaining over and over will not change it.

> > and remove contributor's work.
>
> Sorry, but lots of contributor work were removed over the years. A
> software lives.

We don't talk about a contribution remove for technical reason.
But a contributor's work remove in order to try to annoy a licence
violator.

Absolutely not. The work was removed because the library is 100% closed source and userland.

Then I suggest to put that into the news entry instead.

As I described in similar threads before, whether or not the project want closed source support for NDI is a subjective issue, please start a vote about the removal of libndi if you want to seek this through.

Thanks,
Marton