On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, Thilo Borgmann wrote:

Am 21.03.19 um 11:55 schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 05:41:31PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 4:15 PM Gyan <ffm...@gyani.pro> wrote:

On 21-03-2019 01:32 AM, Marton Balint wrote:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, at 20:52, Marton Balint wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, at 19:34, Marton Balint wrote:
As I described in similar threads before, whether or not the
project want >> closed source support for NDI is a subjective issue,
please start a vote >> about the removal of libndi if you want to
seek this through.

The removal of libndi is actually done and committed.

That is just sad an unfair.

Sad, maybe.
Unfair, I disagree. If NDI wants to be in, they know what to do.

It is unfair towards the people who expressied disapproval, yet this
change was committed without neither vote nor consensus.

+1. This was a political decision, not a technical one. A formal(-ish)
survey should have happened on the ML.

I agree we need a formal vote on this. I would like to set a wider project
policy w.r.t. closed-source software integration, this is just one instance
of a more general issue.

I think there should have been a vote before pushing a commit as there where
FFmpeg developers objecting to it.
Ignoring people causes nothing good. Had there been a vote people would be
alot less upset about it as everyones oppinion would be counted equally

It makes me unhappy that one FFmpeg developer apparently decided to leave
the project already because of this. I think we should fix this, make a proper policy, with a proper vote
and then hopefully noone feels the need to leave.

+1

Who wants to organize it?

Thilo organized the last vote, maybe he wants to do it ?
but if noone else wants to do it i can do one too if people want and
there is consensus who can vote
If i search for "open source vote free" on google it points to vote.heliosvoting.org as first hit
this seems rather basic but for simple yes/no questions it could work
maybe someone has a better suggestion we could use for more complex future
cases that is multiple choice votes in teh future (schulze STV / CPO-STV
for multiwinner or ScottishSTV (used by SPI), schulze method (used by debian)
for one winner of N choices would be nice to have)

Including for simple yes/no votes we can use the same LimeSurvey host we got
provided from KDE for the survey. Also for anonymous votes.

If people want it, we can setup a poll anytime. Most important would be a list
of people allowed to vote (as of mail subscribed to FFmpeg-devel).

The last time we used the Voting Committe these people were on it:

Original committe:
    Michael Niedermayer
    Clément Bœsch
    James Almer
    Paul B Mahol
    Carl Eugen Hoyos
    Andreas Cadhalpun
    Ronald S. Bultje
    wm4
    Lukasz Marek
    Rostislav Pehlivanov
    Hendrik Leppkes
    Christophe Gisquet
    Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet
First extension:
    Nicolas George
    Rodger Combs
    Stefano Sabatini
    Timothy Gu
Second extension:
    Ganesh Ajjanagadde
    Lou Logan
    Marton Balint
    Philip Langdale
    Reimar Döffinger
(There was a 3rd extension attempt but that was rejected in the discussion phase)

Emails can be generated from git log relatively easily for each member (the last 50 commits are queried to be able to notice ambiguities):

git log -n 50 --pretty=format:%ce --committer='Author Name <' |sort | uniq

I suggest we first do a vote one the extension. Michael used this in the past to propose the list of people to add:

git log libav/master..master --no-merges  --since=2014-10-25T00:00:00Z --until
2015-10-25T00:00:00Z --pretty=fuller | grep '^Commit:' | sed 's/<.*//' |sort |
uniq -c | sort -nr

(https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-October/182057.html)

Regards,
Marton