Ron said:

>maybe even licking lichens isn't essential

Frankly I've never even considered licking a lichen.
I'm guessing you meant that "even lichen lichens isn't essential"?

=====
"Well behaved women seldom make history."
        (Laurel Thatcher Ulrich)
"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we
understand how unfair the death penalty is."  (George W. Bush,  Omaha, Neb., Feb. 28,
2001)
And oh, so much more:  http://slate.msn.com/Features/bushisms/bushisms.asp