Al,

Perhaps you might elaborate on just how you merge the two images? I
experimented a little with two step wedge images and found that just
merging them in "normal" mode and 50% opacity results in reduced
contrast in shadows and highlights - the areas where good tonal
separation would be needed (hope I got the terminology right).

Regards,
Wolfgang