Wolfgang wrote:

> Perhaps you might elaborate on just how you merge
> the two images? I experimented a little with two step
> wedge images and found that just merging them in
> "normal" mode and 50% opacity results in reduced
> contrast in shadows and highlights

Layer masks seem a good approach.  I'm no expert in this but there is
a good tutorial at:

http://serenescenes.com/Techniques/SplitScanning.html

I know some people also apply some blurring to the layer mask as
well.

I'll be interested how this compares with the results you get from
your current method.

Al Bond