Get the ColorVision RGB Suite 1, consisting of photocal/monitor spyder/
profiler RGB bundle for $299.

    http://www.colorcal.com/solutions.html?page=digital_photography

This will calibrate & profile your monitor (extremely well) and allow
you to build good custom profiles for your printer/ink/paper
combinations using a flatbed scanner (cheap) instead of a
spectrophotometer (expensive).

This package does not include scanner calibration/profiling, but once
your monitor & printer are properly profiled, I think you will find
that's not necessary or even helpful.

Richard Wolfson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]