Michael,

All this stuff about CD-R durability is speculation at the
moment, sometimes well-informed, and sometimes ill-informed.

I'd give your support person's views a lot of weight if I
knew he'd properly researched the field, and had some data
or reasoning to back his judgement (rather than hearsay),
but otherwise I'd trust my own technical judgement.

My particular personal opinion, based on my relevant
scientific
background, is that there are plenty of things to worry
about over long-term storage on CD-R. However, chemical or
photon penetration of the metallic reflective layer from the
top (label) side is not high on this list, precisely because
it's an excellent chemical and optical barrier layer,
protecting the data from that side. It is, nevertheless,
very
vulnerable mechanically.

Use a recommended non-corrosive pen or a paper label, and
worry instead about still having a machine and operating
system that'll read the disk in 20 years time, or about the
dye data clouds and/or their enclosing polymer matrix
self-destructing. I think it'd be sensible to recopy
valuable & irreplaceable image files (keeping on-topic, you
understand) every few years.

Regards,

Alan T