>Is there a good rule-of-thumb for the amount of RAM >needed for scanning &
>editing files at different resolution in Photoshop. >This is probably "more
>is better," but are some specific recommendations on >this?

I used a Minolta Scan Dual (2438 dpi) with 160mb of RAM and that was
adequate even when I had a couple of adjustment layers.  A couple of weeks
ago I replaced that scanner with a Minolta Scan Elite (2820 dpi) and
discovered that with two adjustment layers I would sometimes get some
swapping, depending on what operation I was trying.  I have upgraded to
256mb and it seems to be much better.  I would say that for 2700-2820 dpi
you would want 256mb as a minimum.