On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:24:51 -0500  Austin Franklin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> That doesn't take into account the performance of the CCD, or the analog
> front end, or the actual converter performance.  Do you have any idea if the
> manufacturers actually do any testing to conclude that what they claim as a
> spec, is how the system actually performs?  If they are basing their specs
> on purely empirical data, then they are not, in my book, really accurate
> specs.

Quite right, and that's why OD specs are practically meaningless marketing
bullets - you never know whether they are measured somehow, or simple estimations
of the max OD range which can be crammed into available bit depth.

Even where measurement has been done, there are no agreed standards which would
confer comparability.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &