<snip>
> PS  There is another issue that comes up here - I have assumed that
Dynamic
> range (which until now I would say is the same thing as density range) is
> Dmax - Dmin where you measure Dmax and Dmin _with_the_same_setup_ - that
> is, during the one scan.

I brought up this point a while ago, I believe...and that is the Leafscan
uses a 12 bit converter, but does the conversion at three different ranges,
from which it gets basically a 16 bit result.

If a design uses this multiple range technique, you can't just go by the
number of bits in the converter to figure out what the dynamic range of the
system is without knowing what the multiple ranges add to the picture (no
pun intended).