At 04:44 15/01/01, : [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>.Which might explain why they use the term Density Range and not
> >>Dynamic Range - Dynamic Range certainly means the range that can be
> covered
> >>without changing the setup i.e. the range available at one instant.
> >
> >Hmmmmm. Well spotted!
> >
> >Tony Sleep
>
>But they *do* use Dynamic Range in some of their literature (4.2 in
>Nikon's product data sheet for the 4000 ED and their model comparison
>sheet, provided by Nikon at this past week's Mac World).

Yes I noticed this about 5 stupid minutes after I wrote the first
comment!  The truth as usual might be more  stupidity than
conspiracy.  Probably there is some serious thinking about spec
presentation by technical people arguing with sales people as to what they
can get away with, resulting in a finely balanced agreement as to how to
phrase this specification.   Then somewhere downstream other sales people
mess it all up by not appreciating the niceties of what was agreed
elsewhere and plonk in the new figure with what they think is a
"synonymous" name.

Cheers

Julian

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia