On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:20:28 +1100  Roman =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kielich=AE?=
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> ?? speed? When I started photography, 15-18 DIN (25-50 ASA) films were
> standard, and DIN 27/ASA 400 were terribly high speed! BTW, it was in
> continental Europe (same problem with seasons and light).

No, not speed, Provia's vile and somewhat erratic insistence on heavy blue casts and
magenta-blue shadows if shown murky, cold colour temps. Even an 81a or 81b don't seem
to help. Although they warm things up, colour is poor. Fuji kept RDP in production
specifically because of the howls of protest from UK snappers, but then decided they
could fob us off with Astia, which is slightly more even-tempered than Provia in such
conditions. An awful lot of people switched to Ektachrome 100SW as a result. An
excellent film for UK murk, but it dislikes direct sunlight and goes over-warm.

Don't get me wrong, Provia is wonderful stuff if you live somewhere sunny or use a
studio. It just malfunctions severely in what passes for weather in UK for much of the
year. The newer 'F' version is better, as the not entirely unrelated Astia was, but
neither come close to RDP for even-temperedness.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons