On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:24:07 -0700  Ray McGuinness ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>  This leads me to conclude that the printer is
> the main limiting device with a 2880 dpi scan at 8x10. When Epson
> releases a 1 picoliter printer the 4000 dpi scanners will be a
> necessity for producing the sharpest prints. And as you are saying a
> 4000 dpi scanner will give one a better shot at producing decent
> large prints using todays inkjet printers.

You are looking at 2 separate entities. Scan quality can benefit from higher res,
and that can show via Epson printers, so yes, you can get a better result. But
Epsons have defects all their own, which I personally find fairly objectionable -
the residual coarseness of the dither patter and some sharp discontinuities in the
gamut which make for some quite jarring transitions in tone, specially WRT greens.
I recently saw samples from a Canon S800 Photo inkjet in Tokyo and they were very
much more 'photographic'. It was only a quick look, but they seemed much more like
good colour photographic prints than the samples from Epson 870 and 1270 also
displayed, let alone my own 1200.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &