-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Hart or Mary Jo
Corbett
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 9:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?

Epson does seem to be the only manufacturer that has focussed on the
longevity/archivability question and that's what attacts me to their
products.  I'm thinking of getting an Epson 2000P only because I don't have
room for anything larger.

Since I have a photo archive from 1866 onward, the longevity question is
quite important to me.

Hart Corbett

----------
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?
>Date: Mon, Jan 22, 2001, 1:50 PM
>

> In a message dated 01/22/2001 1:35:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << You are looking at 2 separate entities. Scan quality can benefit from
> higher res,
>  and that can show via Epson printers, so yes, you can get a better
result.
> But
>  Epsons have defects all their own, which I personally find fairly
> objectionable -
>  the residual coarseness of the dither patter and some sharp
discontinuities
> in the
>  gamut which make for some quite jarring transitions in tone, specially
WRT
> greens.
>  I recently saw samples from a Canon S800 Photo inkjet in Tokyo and they
were
> very
>  much more 'photographic'. It was only a quick look, but they seemed much
> more like
>  good colour photographic prints than the samples from Epson 870 and 1270
> also
>  displayed, let alone my own 1200. >>
>

> So, are the Epsons still the "best" around for the money?  I don't hear
much
> talk about HP, Canon, or Lexmark being of astounding quality.  Or are
Epson