[Matthew Hindson:]

>If you're going to buy a Mac (and I don't know which sort of Mac you're
>going to buy, though the new eMacs are very good value for money),

     Well, it was just a thought, and I probably won't do it, since I've always
worked in DOS and Windows, and everything about what I've done is geared to that
system.  It would probably be extremely disruptive to try to start using a
Macintosh now, although I'd consider it if there was strong enough a reason.
     If I did get a Macintosh, it would probably be a laptop of some sort, since
I would want to be able to carry with me whatever computer I ultimately use for
doing music.  Not an iBook, though.  (It may sound silly, but I hate the look of
them, although some people seem to think they're good computers.  They look like
little children's toys to me, though.)
     Anyway, I've received lots of suggestions from list members about Finale,
operating systems, and so on - too many to comment on individually; but I will
keep them and refer to them as necessary.  Thanks to all those who gave them.  I
can see that if I get Finale I will need to stay on this list, and use it
regularly - and of course help with other people's questions if I ever get good
enough to be able to do so.

>Depending on how serious you are about Finale, you should also buy TGTools,
>download all the other free plugins,

     Yes, this is something else I had intended to ask about.  I believe there
are three or four members of this list who produce plug-ins which might be
useful.  I'm not sure, but I think three of these people are Tobias Giesen,
Robert Patterson, and Jari Williamsson.  Am I right?  And I have an idea there
were one or two others, too, but I don't recall who they were.  (Was Sergey
Lebedev one of them?  I vaguely remember something he was offering at one time.)
     Are these the plug-ins you're referring to, Matthew?  How many of these are
free, and how many are commercial programs?  Is there a listing of what they do
anywhere, so I can read them and decide how suitable they are for the kind of
work I want to do.  (And I'm thinking mainly of composing music, mostly in a
late-romantic/early-modern technique - after the previous discussion about doing
engraving, it appears that it would not be as easy as maybe I thought to get
into that, although maybe I can look at that again one day.)

>and possibly buy a Macro programme such
>as Quickeys as well as keyboard support isn't as good on the Mac as it is on
>Windows.

     Or would it be a good idea to use something like this for Windows, too?  As
I mentioned before, I don't especially like using the mouse, and would ideally
like to do everything (or as much as possible) from the keyboard.  So would
something like QuickKeys be useful there, even in Windows?

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.