[Johannes Gebauer:]

>On 22.06.2002 18:18 Uhr, Robert Patterson wrote
>
>> Finale does not directly support non-aligned barlines. However, Staff
>> Styles provide a fairly simple workaround, as long as the two staves
>> have a reasonable lowest common denominator where the barlines coincide.
>> Even 2/4 vs. 3/4 (with the same quarter) is
>> managable with staff styles unless it is an extended passage. (For 2/4
>> against 3/4, the internal meter would have to be 1/4, and you would use
>> a staff style to hide the barlines you didn't want to see.)
>
>Can you explain the steps to do this, I never thought of this (but then I
>haven't come into the situation of needing it, yet, but you never know...).

     It seems that you can hide any element of notation in Finale, so that it is
not visible in a score, but still works in the logic of the program; and that,
on top of the hidden symbol, you can have something else which is visible but
has no effect in the logic of the program.  Right?
     If so, then I suppose you'd use a small time signature (such as 1/4) which
fits evenly into both the ones you want to have running simultaneously, hide the
1/4, and write on top of it the time signatures you want to show.  And you just
then hide the bar-lines which don't belong to the visible time signatures.
     That seems to solve the problem - or have I missed something?  Perhaps it
does sound a bit too easy.
     Do these staff styles allow you to hide particular symbols individually, or
only allow you to set a general rule which decides automatically what is hidden
and what is not, and then you can't make exceptions?

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.