Michael Edwards wrote:

[snip]

 > Yes, it does. I'm just curious (although it's not important, I
 > suppose) why Finale caters for up to 127 sharps or flats.  Although
 >  7 is the theoretical maximum, and almost always the maximum found
[snip]
 > top, in generosity of going beyond the standard limits.  Or might
 > it perhaps have just made the programming easier (127 being 1 less
 > than a power of 2), and at least do no harm? Just curious.

127 is actually NOT one less than a power of two, since computers use 0
as a real number, so 0-127 represent 128 values, which is a common
number to run into in programming, 0-127 can be represented by half a
byte.  So my bet is that we can go to 128 flats, and the combination
(effectively from -128 to 127) can be represented by a single byte.

Since nothing else could be done with the remainder of the bits in that
byte (or else, more accurately, nothing else HAS been done with that
byte) the ability to place far more than musically necessary is simply a
relic of programming.

--
David H. Bailey