David H. Bailey writes:

> Since nothing else could be done with the remainder of the bits in that
> byte (or else, more accurately, nothing else HAS been done with that
> byte) the ability to place far more than musically necessary is simply a
> relic of programming.

FWIW, the same byte is used to define non-standard key sigs, so that
might be part of the "explanation".

However, I really can't see the problem here. Finale allows lots of these
things: You can create bar lines that are one inch thick, you can create
fractional time sigs with 20 decimals, you can create noteheads that are
200 points large, etc, etc.
If you for some reason need it, you have access to it. If you don't need it,
don't use it.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson
ICQ #: 78036563