At 3:06 PM -0400 6/23/02, Darcy James Argue wrote:

>The way I heard it, Berlin would insist (almost maniacally, at
>times) that the work done by his "assistants" constituted work for
>hire.  Whoever was "helping" him write would play the same few bars,
>over and over again, each time with different harmonies, until he
>hit on something Berlin liked, at which point Berlin would say,
>"That's it!  That's the one!  Now, remember -- that's MINE.  That's
>not yours, that's MINE."

Ha ha! I can laugh at that because I actually had a singer insist
that I put her name on the charts I was arranging for her as
"Arranged by Tone-def Lachanteuse" (not her real name) Her reasoning
was that if she commissioned me to arrange "Pennies from Heaven" in a
style like Kenny Wheeler, then the concept was HERS, and I was just
writing it down. Understand, all I got from her was "I need an
arrangement of Pennies, in G, the way Kenny Wheeler might do it." She
didn't sit down with me and play or sing lines or harmonies, she
simply commissioned the chart and waited for it. Everything in the
chart, aside from the melody and lyrics, came from me (with some
Kenny inspiration) and SHE wanted credit. Amazing.

Christopher