On Wed, 26 June 2002, "Dennis W. Manasco" wrote

> PayPal gives me the heebie jeebies...

I think the reason many buyers have this reaction is the fact that they have to
sign up and are eventually required to give a bank account if they want to use
it for more than a few transactions. Even though in my experience these concerns
are misplaced, I certainly respect anyone who feels this way. Paypal takes
security *extremely* seriously. Ironically, in fact, this is the reason for most
of the complaints. Paypal has been notorious for freezing accounts containing
huge amounts for disputes over tiny amounts and then being unresponsive when
questioned. I believe this has primarily been a growing pain. In any case, it is
more of a seller's problem than a buyer's problem. (Another reason for buyers'
concerns may be the silly name. A financial institution should have a serious
name.)

For these reasons, I *do* offer alternative payment methods. I'm not sure why
Dennis mistrusts EBay, but Billpoint is only tangentially part of EBay. It is an
electronic payment system that is highly secure, works flawlessly, and requires
no sign up. It supports credit cards from 40 countries. I can't imagine why
anyone would be concerned about it, except on the general principle of being
concerned by any web-based cc payment. Ebay is one of the most conservative,
successful, and respecatable online companies there is. (They've always had
earnings, at least since they went public.) If you distrust it, you don't trust
any of them. The only disadvantage of Billpoint over Paypal is that it takes a
few days rather than being instantaneous.

> Even a snailMail address to send a check to would be welcome.

You will find that option on the order form at the website.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com