I was just reading this new book and some ideas expressed by mr. Powell urge
me to get the opinion of you people on this list.
I first have to say that there are a lot of interesting things in this book.
The staff sizes chart at the beginning is one good example. I would have
appreciated that he omitted some personal comments (some about SCORE for
example are quite funny but undeserved) here and there because its does give
an « amateur » style to it. I am citing the part where I ask for your
opinions :
« Good engraving is almost always tight engraving. It may be tempting, when
you are getting paid per page (the method most publishers use) to space
music generously to create extra pages, but you should resist the urge.
Tighly spaced music is easier to read, as more information is readily
available for the eye (...) »

What about people who just want their music to look good. Most of my clients
are billed on an hourly rate, which I think is a lot more fair. I do
whatever I think is good for the music. Before reading this I was already
noticing that the examples in the book were often damn tight (sometimes a
couple of measures too many for a system) for my own taste, which may be
discutable. But the problem with Finale spacing is that it becomes uglier as
the music is becoming tighter. Am I silly or what?

Eric