At 10:10 PM 6/29/2002 -0400, Éric Dussault wrote:
>  I am citing the part where I ask for your
>opinions :
>« Good engraving is almost always tight engraving. It may be tempting, when
>you are getting paid per page (the method most publishers use) to space
>music generously to create extra pages, but you should resist the urge.
>Tighly spaced music is easier to read, as more information is readily
>available for the eye (...) »
>
>What about people who just want their music to look good.

Eric,

If you are producing pages intended for performance (as opposed to
archiving), the first consideration is to produce music that can be read
easily and quickly.  The key phrase is Steve's last sentence (in the quote
above).  Sometimes, music can be spread out so much it seems to fall behind
the tempo.  In other words, the eye cannot take in enough in one glance to
keep up.  Or, to look at it another way, the more the eye can see in one
glance, the better.  Of course the spacing should not be so tight that
crashes occur.

Sometimes other considerations must rule, but always to the end of making
the music easier to read.  For example, I generally give a little more
space to wide (linear) intervals.

Dan Carno

Daniel Carno
Music Engraving Services
Quality work in Sibelius, Finale, Score and Igor
4514 Makyes Road
Syracuse, New York 13215
(315) 492-2987