Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> "Pass the goddamn butter" is irregular the way I say it (quarter-eighth
> triplet, two quarters, two eighths) unless you add a rest at the end and
> flatten it all out. Then I can hear the 1-2-4-6 syllable part as the 4
> side, but did you mean 1-3-6 for the three side? That would be 4 against 3
> instead of 3 against 4, but I'll take it.

  This has been beaten to death, but here's one more kick at the can.
The bottom line is still: dotted 8th + 16th, two 8ths, 16th + dotted 8th.
This is the combined rhythm that emerges when the measure is divided simultaneously
into 3 and 4.
The picture John Bell posted says it all:
X---X---X---
X--X--X--X--
X--XX-X-XX--
It really is as simple as that.
And the same game can be played to work out the "combined rhythm" for other
simultaneous meters.
E.g. 3 against 8 gives (expressed in 6/8): two dotted quarters, quarter + 8th +
dotted quarter, dotted quarter + 8th + quarter, 2 dotted quarters.
I remember working out a pile of these as a kid and being amazed to notice that all
the patterns come out palindromic-- which is obvious when you think about it: 3
against 4 is going to give the same combined rhythm as 4 against 3...
Of course it's all quite useless...
 Cheers,  Ch.S.