At 5:55 PM 07/05/02, Robert Patterson wrote:

>I honestly never tried it. Perhaps Finale allows this as a special case.
>If it is fully supported, then by all means use it. But that doesn't fix
>the problem for codas.

Yes, this is a special case for Finale-recognized 2nd endings only.

Apologies if I'm a little muddled on the details, but here is my recollection:

Setting the Tie End directly used to be non-functional in all cases --
because (as you noted) it was originally just a by-product of the Tie
Start, carried over to the next measure so that that measure would "know"
it needs to draw a curve if it's at the beginning of the system. Tie End
couldn't exist without a corresponding Tie Start. Thus, you could use it as
a roundabout way to add or delete a normal tie, but if you tried using it
for a kludge in a non-tie situation it had no effect.

In an earlier version of Finale (Mac v3.7, I think) there was a minor bug
whereby the Tie End was sometimes lost and thus a continuation tie could be
mysteriously absent after a system break. The fix for that bug was to reset
the Tie End in the Edit Frames, whereupon it would stick.  At that time,
this was essentially the only reason a user would want to alter the Tie End
directly.

But with one of the revisions (Fin 2K, I think) they adapted the Tie End
setting so that it can be independently manipulated on the first note of a
2nd ending measure. The explicit (and stated) purpose of this was for 2nd
ending situations like those we're talking about here, and as far as I can
tell it works perfectly in such cases. In all other cases the Tie End
setting is still tied to a corresponding Tie Start, so it still doesn't
work for kludges or any other sort of jump besides a bona fide 2nd ending.

I agree with Johannes that it would be very useful if the Tie End could be
manipulated independently on any note, but I don't think that will ever
happen. I assume there must be technical reasons why that's problematic.
Otherwise, when they were making the adaptation, why would they have
implemented it for 2nd endings only?

By the way, in experimenting with this, I just noticed that you don't have
to go into the Edit Frames box at all. Speedy Entry has the opt-equals
keystroke which sets a tie before the note. (Is that new? I remember
noticing it when I upgraded to v2k2, but it never occurred to me to use it
for 2nd endings. I guess I'm just used to entering Edit Frames because of
that old v3.7 bug.)

This keystroke behaves exactly the same as setting Tie End in the Edit
Frames dialog.  That is:  It work if you're at the beginning of a 2nd
ending; and it works if there is a corresponding previous note (in which
case it creates a normal tie); but in all other cases it is ignored.

mdl